Stay safe on your trip
It is a fact that criminals will often target people they consider to be wealthy, therefore tourists should be aware of what impression they are giving. In some areas you will travel to, tourists are often more wealthy than the majority of the local population. It is for this reason that foreigners are often targeted. Another reason is that foreigners will often have a lack of local knowledge when they are new to an area.
Important safety advice:
- Take the time to get to know your local surroundings at your destination. Find your bearings as it is easy to become disorientated. Be mindful of carrying a map with you at all times. Even if you have one on your smart phone, consider purchasing a pocket map as they are more reliable.
- It is fairly obvious, but many people still make the mistake of carrying large amounts of cash with them. Once in your accommodation, make use of the safe facilities and only take out what you need and when you need it. Also ensure that any valuables are also locked away.
- You should have a heightened awareness in crowded areas. When carrying purses or wallets, keep them in your front pockets as opposed to back. If you don’t you will be an easy target for thieves. Similarly, if you are using a backpack or handbag, make sure this on your front for the same reasons.
- When using an ATM anywhere, always shield the screen and your pin number. This should done both at home and abroad as a security measure.
- If you are drinking alcohol then make sure you know your limits and refrain from wandering around the streets at night. It is important to remember that under the influence of alcohol you are in a vulnerable state – and even more so in a strange environment.
- If you think you are being followed then move towards a well-lit and public area. If possible, notify an official or go into a shop. Most importantly, don’t be afraid to ask for help.